Skip to main content

Christmas.... Part 3

For the first time in all of the years we've been together, Christmas was just us, at home.  Three people and two dogs, and it was fabulous.  We missed having extended family around but it was also so nice to just celebrate with our little family.  

Christmas Eve we combined LeBaron and Walters traditions.  For the LeBaron side we ate appetizers for dinner and each opened one present.  For the Walters side we read the Night Before Christmas (the Random House books for Young Readers edition, published in 1975- the same version my dad always reads).  Everyone (including dogs but excepting the photographer) piles onto the same couch.  We still have some extra space on ours!

We added a new tradition of also reading A Christmas Goodnight which was published this year and tells the nativity story.

DSC_0035.jpg

The next morning we were all up pretty early!  Paul and I were actually too excited to sleep and woke up at about 6, giving us time to quickly shower before LP was up at 6:30.  We came downstairs and of course, Santa had come!  LP was pretty excited, but even more excited when he discovered that Santa didn't eat all of his cookie- he quickly snatched it off the plate and said "I'll finish it!"  Since it was Christmas, we let him go for it!


DSC_0079.jpg

In our family we open presents one at a time, so that everyone can see what the other people received and gave.  Because it was just the three of us we stopped whenever LP wanted to play with something he'd just opened, and really took our time.  

DSC_0096.jpg

The dogs also got in on the present opening action- they both love to open presents!

DSC_0102.jpg

Although Socks took several naps throughout the morning!

DSC_0126.jpg

While Gabby destroyed her new stuffed chicken within minutes...

DSC_0128.jpg

Paul surprised me with a Nikon D7000 which was a HUGE surprise! It's a pretty serious upgrade from my other camera and was completely unexpected.  He also gave me a sappy note all about how talented he thinks I am which was so sweet and is just as treasured.  Paul absolutely loves going over the top at Christmas time and I certainly can't complain!  He surprises me every year by his thoughtfulness (he even put candy and chapstick in my stocking since he remembered that as kids we always got candy and chapstick!)

DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0145.jpg

I surprised Paul with the drawing of Socks that I had commissioned- he loves it!

DSC_0149.jpg

DSC_0061wm.jpg

The rest of our day was spent putting together new toys and playing.

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

In the afternoon we all cooked Christmas dinner together- lobster mashed potatos, asparagus, and bacon wrapped filet mignon with blue cheese for Paul and I (chicken nuggets for LP per his request).

DSC_0125wm.jpg

DSC_0127wm.jpg

We spent time on the phone and on Skype with our families, and both agreed that it really was an absolutely perfect day...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Winter Looks Like...

(Welcome to anyone arriving here from Blue Zebra Photography !) (Oh!  And this is post # 500 on Ye Olde Blogge.  Wow!) I mentioned earlier that I'm participating in two different photography projects this year with other members of the Bloom Forum .   The second project I'm participating in are monthly photos that relate to a certain theme or word. For January, the theme is "Winter." We've had an odd winter so far here in Massachusetts.  Hardly any snow at all and over the weekend it was actually in the 50's which is pretty unusual.  We did have a brief snowstorm last week though and while LP and Eliza were cozied up on the couch together I wandered around and took a few photos of the scene.  I love how cozy it is in our house when it's snowy out and wanted to capture some images that conveyed that... From the Inside, Out: View From the Back Door: From here you can head over to Kelly Janssen's Photography

February: What Shadow Looks Like

  (Welcome if you’re coming from Suzanne O'Brien Studio in Northern California!) This month’s group photography theme was “shadow.”  I’ll admit, I had a bit of a hard time with this one.  We’re in the middle of the February doldrums around these parts, and while the sun does shine from time to time it’s cold and blustery and damp most days.  It was tough to get motivated and creative about this, but that’s the whole point of the challenge! The kids and I were in the living room one afternoon and LP was lining his toys up on the windowsill.  The (frigid) afternoon sun was pouring in and I realized that there was a sort of lightbox effect.   I enlisted LP’s help in photographing some of his favorite toys (and one of Eliza’s) so he was the “stylist” for this little photo shoot.  I think if we ever have a dedicated play room I might frame some of these photos for the walls! Sophie the Giraffe: Army Guys: Captain America (I never noticed how realistic this toy looks until I too

March: What Home Looks Like

(Welcome if you've arrived here from Laurie Schultz's blog !)  Over the years the definition of Home for me has changed.  Growing up it was, of course, the house I lived in with my parents and my brothers.   Even after college when I moved to another state “home” was still back in that house.   Although my apartments were homey and some of my roommates became like family to me, Home was always back in my hometown in the house I grew up in. Even after moving in with Paul, getting married, and buying our own house, a small part of me still felt like home was back in Pennsylvania.  We were creating our own newlywed version of home but I always referred to going to my parents’ house as “going home.”  This has changed since having children though.  Now home is here- where my heart is, figuratively and literally.  It’s wonderful and exhausting and messy and crazy- usually all at once.  And I wouldn't change any of it.  Now, home is where my hubby takes care of thin