Skip to main content

A Bit of Sewing….

I’ve been on a sewing kick lately- made a few things for Eliza that I thought I’d share (of course, I also have a list about a mile long of things I really need to get working on for Christmas, but bumped them all to make these little, totally not needed but too cute to resist, pieces…).

First up is another Geranium Dress from the pattern by Made by Rae.  The pattern is for a sleeveless dress or one with cap sleeves but I really wanted long sleeves so I drafted my own and they worked out perfectly!  The fabric is a super soft baby corduroy.  I made a mistake and sewed the skirt on the wrong way- instead of picking it all apart though I decided to just cover my seam (which should have been on the inside- whoops, distracted!) with a  fabric band.  I used the same fabric for the lining in the bodice.

_DSC9372_DSC9364

On the patch pockets I stitched Eliza’s name- it says “Eliza” on one pocket and “Rose” on the other.. I wish I’d used the polkadot pattern for the pockets as I think it would have shown up better but oh well!  

_DSC9536

The dress is so cute on her and so comfy.  Now that she’s walking instead of crawling I’m so excited to put her in more dresses!

About a month ago a ton of pattern designers put together a collection of patterns for an amazing price for one week only that I couldn’t pass up.  The Sew Fab collaberation was 26 patterns for $30 and after looking at each one I just couldn’t resist and made my purchase. 

 Sew-Fab-F13-Collage-600x539

First up from the Sew Fab Collab is the Bimaa Sweater by Lou Bee Clothing.   I am OBSESSED with this pattern.  There are three versions- cowl neck, shawl neck, and hoodie.  The fit is perfect and with my serger it literally takes me about 20 minutes to sew one together.   Besides the polka dot one below I also made one for Eliza that is solid pink knit with a floral knit cowl.   I didn’t get a chance to photograph that one yet but it’s just as cute.   I’m planning to make LP a shawl neck one next.  

_DSC9058_DSC9204

Also from the Sew Fab Collab are the Skinny Jeans by Peekaboo Pattern Shop.  I need to get some better photos of these but they’re very cute and much easier to sew than I expected.   Eliza had a cute sweater on with her jeans at our playgroup this week and literally every other mom asked me where I got them.   My only complaint is that I made the 12 month size based on her measurements and they just barely fit her.   Fortunately I have enough of the fabric left to make the 18 month size in hopes that they last a little longer.   I also have a pair planned for LP out of a grey knit fabric as he’s fussy about wearing jeans but needs a slimmer fit in his pants.  These jeans have so much detail in them- all the little pockets are there, they have an adjustable waistband, and all of the top-stitching that really makes them into “jeans.”  I think they took me about 4 hours to sew and I made quite a few mistakes and spent a fair amount of time ripping out stitches.  Hopefully I can get it down to 3 hours for the next pair!

_DSC9335_DSC9338

The final thing was actually something that I sewed months and months ago but that just fits Eliza now.  It’s the Little Girl’s Crossover Pinafore by Smashed Peas and Carrots which is a free (!!!) pattern and tutorial.  There’s a blurry photo of the back below and one of the front.  I used fabric by one of my favorite kids’ artists, Sarah Jane Studios.  The inside is a grey polkadot fabric and it can be worn with either side facing out. 

_DSC9459_DSC9515

Oh, and check out Eliza’s cute new do!   I took LP for a haircut yesterday and had them trim Eliza’s bangs.  Without a clip they were always in her eyes and looking scraggly and I think they’re sooo adorable trimmed!

So that’s what I’ve been up to late at night when the house is quiet(ish).   I have about 20 more projects in mind and really need to get working on holiday stuff!

Comments

  1. Hello. I have just joined you on Bloglovin after seeing your version of the wrap over dress which I made several of for my grandaughter and great niece. When I saw the age of Eliza and the fact that you are recording her monthly progress I just had to follow as my little grandaughter, Rose Satsuki is almost the same age - September 14. I look forward to catching up all about her. She is very sweet and I can see she has a strong will, just like our Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading my blog! Is your profile photo of your granddaughter? She's adorable! And of course I love her name!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried twice to reply but hopefully it's third time lucky. Yes, that is Rose wearing yoghurt. She can use a spoon now, which is less messy but not as amusing. I was talking to her on FaceTime this evening and her hair was wild like a scarecrow. My son said something about playing with mashed potatoes at nursery so she obviously enjoys wearing her food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got this reply! Too funny about wearing her food! Eliza is just learning to use the spoon but is very good with her fingers- she's so greedy about food though that she hardly ever wastes any by putting it in her hair!

      Delete
  4. So so awesome! All of these are fantastic! Thank you for sharing! Love love love :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Winter Looks Like...

(Welcome to anyone arriving here from Blue Zebra Photography !) (Oh!  And this is post # 500 on Ye Olde Blogge.  Wow!) I mentioned earlier that I'm participating in two different photography projects this year with other members of the Bloom Forum .   The second project I'm participating in are monthly photos that relate to a certain theme or word. For January, the theme is "Winter." We've had an odd winter so far here in Massachusetts.  Hardly any snow at all and over the weekend it was actually in the 50's which is pretty unusual.  We did have a brief snowstorm last week though and while LP and Eliza were cozied up on the couch together I wandered around and took a few photos of the scene.  I love how cozy it is in our house when it's snowy out and wanted to capture some images that conveyed that... From the Inside, Out: View From the Back Door: From here you can head over to Kelly Janssen's Photography

February: What Shadow Looks Like

  (Welcome if you’re coming from Suzanne O'Brien Studio in Northern California!) This month’s group photography theme was “shadow.”  I’ll admit, I had a bit of a hard time with this one.  We’re in the middle of the February doldrums around these parts, and while the sun does shine from time to time it’s cold and blustery and damp most days.  It was tough to get motivated and creative about this, but that’s the whole point of the challenge! The kids and I were in the living room one afternoon and LP was lining his toys up on the windowsill.  The (frigid) afternoon sun was pouring in and I realized that there was a sort of lightbox effect.   I enlisted LP’s help in photographing some of his favorite toys (and one of Eliza’s) so he was the “stylist” for this little photo shoot.  I think if we ever have a dedicated play room I might frame some of these photos for the walls! Sophie the Giraffe: Army Guys: Captain America (I never noticed how realistic this toy looks until I too

March: What Home Looks Like

(Welcome if you've arrived here from Laurie Schultz's blog !)  Over the years the definition of Home for me has changed.  Growing up it was, of course, the house I lived in with my parents and my brothers.   Even after college when I moved to another state “home” was still back in that house.   Although my apartments were homey and some of my roommates became like family to me, Home was always back in my hometown in the house I grew up in. Even after moving in with Paul, getting married, and buying our own house, a small part of me still felt like home was back in Pennsylvania.  We were creating our own newlywed version of home but I always referred to going to my parents’ house as “going home.”  This has changed since having children though.  Now home is here- where my heart is, figuratively and literally.  It’s wonderful and exhausting and messy and crazy- usually all at once.  And I wouldn't change any of it.  Now, home is where my hubby takes care of thin