Skip to main content

Sunday....

Yesterday's photo prompt for the 30 Days of Gratitude Challenge was "morning sun." I sort of forgot about it (shame!  Only 5 days in!) until I was taking a walk in the late morning.  It had been a rough start to the day with LP- he's very defiant these days and none of our discipline seems to work- and I desperately needed to get out of the house and get some "me" time in.  Paul took over and I headed out for a brisk walk in the chilly weather. 

A few minutes in I realized I hadn't taken my daily photo yet and quickly snapped this one with my phone:

That's the morning sun and a UFO apparently.  I was feeling a bit possessed and not myself so perhaps I was abducted by aliens?  Or perhaps my well-behaved child was abducted and replaced by a back-talking little stinker?

 

Today's prompt was "books."  LP and I have shelves and shelves of books all over the place - Paul isn't a big reader although he has a few with titles like "Wiring: Step by Step" and "Evidence and Procedures for Boundary Location."  I wouldn't be a big reader either if those were my options!  The bookcase in the office holds all of my fiction books (yes, they're organized alphabetically cause I'm anal), and there's another shelf over the desk that holds all of our DIY books- both the DIY around your house and the DIY ones about health and staying fertile and things like that.

In the living room we have a shelf full of pregnancy and raising children books and several shelves with all of my non-fiction books (organized alphabetically within themes).  There's also a toy wagon full of LP's books and another shelf of his books in his room.  This doesn't include my stack of sewing and craft books or the bookcase full of cookbooks in our dining room. 

Needless to say I had plenty of books to choose from.   I decided to go with the cookbooks as I think that you can tell a lot about a person (or a family) by what's on their cookbook shelf.

2011-11-06 17-16-16_0001wm

How to Cook Everything, by Mark Bittman was given to me by a former colleague when I watered her plants for her while she was out of town.  It's a really great go-to cookbook when you need to know how to do something pretty basic like how long to roast a chicken or something. 

Giada's Family Dinners, by, who else, Giada de Laurentis, was given to us by my mother-in-law who is Giada-obsessed and a fabulous cook as well.  Everything in this book is delicious, easy and impressive for dinner parties!

The next two on the shelf are The Settlement Cookbook and The Better Homes and Garden New Cook Book.  These were published in 1976 and 1989 respectively and were given to me by my mother when I moved into my very first apartment. I don't use them very often but would never part with them. I remember them being on Mom's cookbook shelf and used quite a bit when we were younger.

Next up is The Pioneer Woman Cooks by Ree Drummond.  If you haven't heard of the Pioneer Woman by now you must be living under a rock!  She's a blogger turned author of cookbooks and fiction, her story is going to be made into a movie, and she's on Food Network as well.  For a lot of bloggers she's a huge role model- and her food is fantastic as well!

Time for Dinner was sent to me by one of my best friends after I complained to her that LP was being so picky about foods.  It's full of quick and easy recipes that make kids AND adults happy and is a great addition to anyone's bookshelf.

The Great American Hot Dog Book was one I bought for Paul (but was really buying it for myself).  Part cookbook, part history of hot dogs, there are tons of yummy things in there and our goal is to try them all!

My mother-in-law gave us the Williams Sonoma Bread book and almost any time I want to make bread I pull that one out. 

The spiral-bound book next is one of those church classics- members submit recipes and they're all bound together into a book.  My mother gave me this one after the church I grew up in put it together.  I love this kind of cookbook as people tend to submit the recipes for foods that they're always asked to bring places or to make- all their best stuff.  And I love that when I open it I know a lot of the names inside....

The final two books on this bookshelf are Sublime Smoke and Smoke & Spice, both given to Paul.  If you're into smoking your food (and if you're not, you should be) these are two of the best books out there. 

So what does this bookshelf say about us?  I think it's pretty obvious that we love to cook and that we like to try new things.  It says that we love the classic and traditional recipes but also want to "kick things up a notch" (a phrase that I can no longer say without immediately thinking of Emeril).  It says that we're a family looking for great meals to please everyone but that we also want to make yummy food.  And it says that we're a bit nostalgic about our cooking and love to cook recipes that have been passed along to us from others or that remind us of events or people from our childhoods.

What do your cookbooks say about you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Winter Looks Like...

(Welcome to anyone arriving here from Blue Zebra Photography !) (Oh!  And this is post # 500 on Ye Olde Blogge.  Wow!) I mentioned earlier that I'm participating in two different photography projects this year with other members of the Bloom Forum .   The second project I'm participating in are monthly photos that relate to a certain theme or word. For January, the theme is "Winter." We've had an odd winter so far here in Massachusetts.  Hardly any snow at all and over the weekend it was actually in the 50's which is pretty unusual.  We did have a brief snowstorm last week though and while LP and Eliza were cozied up on the couch together I wandered around and took a few photos of the scene.  I love how cozy it is in our house when it's snowy out and wanted to capture some images that conveyed that... From the Inside, Out: View From the Back Door: From here you can head over to Kelly Janssen's Photography

February: What Shadow Looks Like

  (Welcome if you’re coming from Suzanne O'Brien Studio in Northern California!) This month’s group photography theme was “shadow.”  I’ll admit, I had a bit of a hard time with this one.  We’re in the middle of the February doldrums around these parts, and while the sun does shine from time to time it’s cold and blustery and damp most days.  It was tough to get motivated and creative about this, but that’s the whole point of the challenge! The kids and I were in the living room one afternoon and LP was lining his toys up on the windowsill.  The (frigid) afternoon sun was pouring in and I realized that there was a sort of lightbox effect.   I enlisted LP’s help in photographing some of his favorite toys (and one of Eliza’s) so he was the “stylist” for this little photo shoot.  I think if we ever have a dedicated play room I might frame some of these photos for the walls! Sophie the Giraffe: Army Guys: Captain America (I never noticed how realistic this toy looks until I too

March: What Home Looks Like

(Welcome if you've arrived here from Laurie Schultz's blog !)  Over the years the definition of Home for me has changed.  Growing up it was, of course, the house I lived in with my parents and my brothers.   Even after college when I moved to another state “home” was still back in that house.   Although my apartments were homey and some of my roommates became like family to me, Home was always back in my hometown in the house I grew up in. Even after moving in with Paul, getting married, and buying our own house, a small part of me still felt like home was back in Pennsylvania.  We were creating our own newlywed version of home but I always referred to going to my parents’ house as “going home.”  This has changed since having children though.  Now home is here- where my heart is, figuratively and literally.  It’s wonderful and exhausting and messy and crazy- usually all at once.  And I wouldn't change any of it.  Now, home is where my hubby takes care of thin