Skip to main content

A Masterly Master....

Before I get into the before and after photos of our freshly painted master bedroom (YAY!) here's a photo of the curtains I made for the office.  They're what I like to call "cheater" roman blinds- the fabric is cut long enough to cover the entire window if we ever need to darken the room for any reason but the pleats are safety pinned in place.  Eventually I plan to attach buttons to the shade in order to be able to put it up and down more easily but I didn't have enough matching buttons on hand and so safety pins will do for now!  I have to get some better shots but the colors of the curtains really tie in nicely with the area rug and the artwork we have in here. 

2011-03-04 11-24-19_0016wm

This is a piece of artwork I bought while traveling in South Africa.  It's been hanging at the top of our stairs for a year or so now and I was thrilled to find a spot for it in the office where I can really enjoy it:

2011-02-16 21-43-25_0005wm


And now, on to our master bedroom!  As I mentioned before, our master bedroom was the final room in the house to paint.  It was dingy, gross and ugly.  We purchased beautiful new bedroom furniture last year and I've been adding other bits and pieces since then but the walls really needed help.

Here's how the room looked when the previous owners lived here (this shot is taken standing in the doorway, looking to the left):

Other side of master bedroom

And this shot is standing next to the bed looking at the closets (you can see the open door to the right):

One side of master bedroom

Ugly, huh?  Behind those closets is actually a dormer window that was never finished- there's a small door in the back of the closet that leads to a storage space where the window is.  Eventually we might reconfigure the closets to bring the window into the room but it's a big project that we're still debating. 

Here's our room now- this first shot is also taken from the doorway looking to the left of the room- we have our bed on the opposite wall that the previous owners did (and there was also another window right where our headboard is now- the previous owners closed it in when they added the mudroom- along with closing in a window in our bathroom- perhaps they were vampires who wanted to keep as much daylight out of the house as possible?  Strange.)

2011-03-18 14-54-19_0025wm

So we're now left with 2 small windows in a pretty large room, (oh, and no overhead lights in here!) so it's a little tough to photograph.  Here's the other side of the room:

2011-03-18 15-02-08_0060wm

When we bought our bedroom set we chose to only buy one matching nightstand.  I knew I wanted something more feminine on my side of the bed and eventually found a great round table.  I did the same with the lamps on our nightstands- Paul's is a little more modern and mine is a little more girly but I think they balance each other well.

2011-03-18 14-55-29_0030wm

Here's my lamp.  You can sort of see in the photo that there are actually little tiny rhinestones on the lampshade. 

2011-03-18 14-56-25_0035wm

And here's Paul's lamp.  I picked up the base at the Brimfield Antique Show and snagged the shade at Homegoods.

2011-03-18 14-58-41_0044wm

A shot of the room standing in front of our closets. 

2011-03-18 14-59-59_0052wm

More bedroom plans?  We'll hang the t.v. on the wall, find a new lamp for the dresser, and install new window shades- probably those cellular type shades in an ivory color.  I'm still looking for the perfect artwork for over the bed but for now the "his" and "hers" art that I made years ago will work!  We're going to change out all the bedroom doors to solid wood, probably stained to match the floors we've redone.  We're also going to change out our sliding closet doors to solid wood bifolds, painted to match the trim.  And Paul has plans to eventually redo the floors in our bedroom as well. 

So what do you think?  A slight improvement I'd say! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Winter Looks Like...

(Welcome to anyone arriving here from Blue Zebra Photography !) (Oh!  And this is post # 500 on Ye Olde Blogge.  Wow!) I mentioned earlier that I'm participating in two different photography projects this year with other members of the Bloom Forum .   The second project I'm participating in are monthly photos that relate to a certain theme or word. For January, the theme is "Winter." We've had an odd winter so far here in Massachusetts.  Hardly any snow at all and over the weekend it was actually in the 50's which is pretty unusual.  We did have a brief snowstorm last week though and while LP and Eliza were cozied up on the couch together I wandered around and took a few photos of the scene.  I love how cozy it is in our house when it's snowy out and wanted to capture some images that conveyed that... From the Inside, Out: View From the Back Door: From here you can head over to Kelly Janssen's Photography

February: What Shadow Looks Like

  (Welcome if you’re coming from Suzanne O'Brien Studio in Northern California!) This month’s group photography theme was “shadow.”  I’ll admit, I had a bit of a hard time with this one.  We’re in the middle of the February doldrums around these parts, and while the sun does shine from time to time it’s cold and blustery and damp most days.  It was tough to get motivated and creative about this, but that’s the whole point of the challenge! The kids and I were in the living room one afternoon and LP was lining his toys up on the windowsill.  The (frigid) afternoon sun was pouring in and I realized that there was a sort of lightbox effect.   I enlisted LP’s help in photographing some of his favorite toys (and one of Eliza’s) so he was the “stylist” for this little photo shoot.  I think if we ever have a dedicated play room I might frame some of these photos for the walls! Sophie the Giraffe: Army Guys: Captain America (I never noticed how realistic this toy looks until I too

March: What Home Looks Like

(Welcome if you've arrived here from Laurie Schultz's blog !)  Over the years the definition of Home for me has changed.  Growing up it was, of course, the house I lived in with my parents and my brothers.   Even after college when I moved to another state “home” was still back in that house.   Although my apartments were homey and some of my roommates became like family to me, Home was always back in my hometown in the house I grew up in. Even after moving in with Paul, getting married, and buying our own house, a small part of me still felt like home was back in Pennsylvania.  We were creating our own newlywed version of home but I always referred to going to my parents’ house as “going home.”  This has changed since having children though.  Now home is here- where my heart is, figuratively and literally.  It’s wonderful and exhausting and messy and crazy- usually all at once.  And I wouldn't change any of it.  Now, home is where my hubby takes care of thin