Skip to main content

Halloween, 2010

Last year we sort of skipped Halloween in lieu of letting my in-laws babysit LP so that we could go out to dinner sans baby.  This year, however, we thought LP might just be old enough to enjoy it and so we were thrilled to be invited to trick or treat with friends who live in a great family neighborhood (the road we live on is pretty busy and we don't get any trick or treaters at all....)

In the afternoon Grammy and Papa came over to see LP in his costume and to bring him a basket full of candy and coloring books.  We'd planned for LP to be a monkey as a friend had passed along her son's out-grown monkey outfit.  Unfortunately, LP absolutely refused to put it on, yelling at me, "no like it! No like it Mama!"

And so, like many other parents, I resorted to throwing together a last minute, very homemade costume.

During Little Paul's nap I ran downstairs, grabbed an old t-shirt I'd been saving for scraps, and some fleece fabric.  I whipped up a quick James the Train (James is one of the trains from the Thomas the Tank Engine series, for anyone out there who is not up on their toddler toys).  I'd planned to do Thomas himself but didn't have enough blue fabric and had to opt for James instead.

5 minutes before LP woke up (and so, about 10 minutes before we left for dinner and trick-or-treat with our friends) I glued and stitched the last little pieces on.  I ran upstairs to show it to Paul who looked at the costume a bit sideways and said "it's a little rough" and thought that LP would probably refuse to wear costume attempt #2. 

I knew Little Paul's train obsession would come through though and he was super excited to wear the costume- talking the whole car ride to our friends' house about how he was going to show Reagan his costume (Reagan is the 2 year old daughter of our friends). 

Unfortunately, in the mad dash out of the house I managed to forget my camera.  I'd changed the lens, and I put my external flash in my bag but somehow left the actual camera sitting on the counter and so the only photos I got were horribly lit, rather blurry phone photos.  Sometime this week I'll try to get some better photos.

trick or treat

We took the little kids to 3 or 4 houses and Little Paul seemed to really enjoy himself- he was rather surprised when people kept putting candy in his bucket and said "thank you" and Happy Halloween" very nicely.  It was chilly out though and so we quickly retired the wagon and the costumes in favor of the warmth of the house, wine for the grownups, and handing out candy to at least a hundred trick or treaters.

IMG_20101031_181356

After about an hour of handing out candy LP came up to me and said "Jacket on!  James on!  In Wagon- go go!  C'mon!" as he wanted to go back out.  I said, "no, no, we're going to stay here with Reagan and hand out candy!"  He ran to the kitchen, pulled Reagan's bumblebee costume off the table, and brought it over to her- saying "Rea!  Bummelbee on!  Go go!  Wagon!"

Halloween 2010- a definite success all around!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Checking in....

Thought it was time for a little update on the projects we're working on at Casa LeBaron.   In living room news, our fireplace is almost finished!  The new tile has been grouted (no pictures yet) and all we have left to do is seal the grout and install the new fireplace doors.  Then I have to figure out how I want to style the mantel- I usually just throw a bunch of frames and things up there but am not sure if that's the way I want to go right now...  Here's how it's looking (or, here's how it was looking before we grouted the tile): Below is a close up of how we fixed our cabinet doors.  Originally they were oak with horrible brass hardware.  The panels on each door front was cracked and they were U-G-L-Y.  So we popped out the panels, painted the frames, and used my handy dandy glue gun to inset new panels.  The new panels were made from one sheet of radiator screening that we cut to size and sprayed with oil-rubbed bronze spray paint.  We added new handles and…

Things to Remember: Eliza Rose, Age 3

Today our sweet little Eliza Rose turns three.  Like all moms, I'm sure, it's hard for me to believe that she's already out of toddler-hood and becoming a preschooler.  It seems as though we were just preparing for her to join our family yesterday and now, of course, it's impossible to imagine what life would be like without Eliza around.


Eliza might be the smallest person in our house but she has the largest personality by far.  Shy in public, she's boisterous and energetic at home- running all over, squealing with excitement, bossing everyone around and trying to take charge at all times. 

She's stubborn and sensitive, sweet and sassy, and over the top spicy.  

At three Eliza's favorite things are her brother, her doggies, mermaids, stories, and princesses.   She loves to play tea party, help in the kitchen and go swimming.    Sometimes she says she's "Eliza BaBaron"- other times she's a "puppy doggy" or a "mermaid with a pi…

11 Days, 2 Parties, 6 Cakes, and 600 Miles...

Phew!  The past two weeks have been pretty hectic and LP and I are just starting to recover! 

We started last weekend with a big bbq bash at our house.  We had about 30 people over (about half were under the age of 3- yikes!) and made a ton of food.  Grillmaster Paul smoked 3 racks of ribs, made pulled pork (which he started smoking at 7 a.m.!), grilled chicken wings, and made all of the various rubs and sauces to go with each.  DELICIOUS. 

Unfortunately, I only got one photo of the whole thing:



A few days later it was Paul's birthday so his parents came over to celebrate over a big meal of Paul's favorite pasta dish.  It's a dish he ate while we were on our honeymoon- the restaurant chef was nice enough to send me the recipe so I could recreate the meal for our first anniversary and it has since become the go-to dish for Paul's birthday every year.  Yummy smoked gouda, pancetta, and artichokes tossed with pasta- delicious!



He blew out 9 candles on his cake (I didn't…