Skip to main content

Lessons Learned Yesterday.....

1.  Explaining to your 85-year-old male boss that he can't just let himself into your office if a "please don't disturb" sign is posted as that means you're pumping breast milk is A-W-K-W-A-R-D for everyone involved.

2.  That nachos from Qdoba are tasty but were WAY tastier when pregnant.

3.  That a remote starter for your car is good in theory but that you should make sure you know how to use it.

4.  That the remote starter mentioned above is known to cause a glitch in your car system that makes the doors lock when you put the keys in the ignition.

5.  That having OnStar is only useful if you actually know the phone number.

6.  That you should actually memorize phone numbers instead of just relying on storing them in your cell phone.

7.  That there are still people in this world who are nice enough to help a complete stranger.

8.  That caller ID is good in theory until you're trying to call home from someone else's phone.



Have you guessed yet what happened to me yesterday?  It was my first day back at work.  Things were going well (minus the whole explaining the breast pump thing to my boss.  Was hoping not to have that conversation but he showed up at my office as I was sanitizing all the parts in the microwave and asked what I was doing....).   The day was busy and went quickly.  I caught the 5 p.m. train home and hopped off the train at 5:30 anxious to get home and see how LP's first full day of day care went.  That's when things went (as the English like to say) a bit pear-shaped.

Paul bought me a remote starter for my car for my birthday.  As I was walking off the train I pressed the button, very excited that I'd be able to jump right into a nice warm car as it was so freezing out.  I got in the car, put my bag on the front seat and put the key in the ignition.  That's when it happened.  

Normally you pay for parking in the commuter lot in the morning, putting money into a slot that corresponds with the number of the spot you parked in.  When there's snow on the ground and you can't see the numbers however you pay at the end of the day in a little envelope that they leave on your windshield.  You have to pay that day or you end up paying a fine.  I saw the envelope on my windshield and hopped out to get it, shutting the car door behind me.

Whoops.  Apparently although I'd unlocked the car to get in it all the doors were locked.  There I was, in the middle of the parking lot, with one glove (I was taking them off as I got in the car so one was on the passenger seat), the car running, and my wallet and cell phone in the car.  I ran around the car a few times trying all the doors but they were definitely locked.  I have On-Star who should be able to unlock my car remotely but didn't know the phone number.  And so I asked a stranger if I could use her cell phone, explaining what had happened.

I called Paul twice but he wasn't answering- we're big fans of caller ID and only answer if we know the caller so I quickly realized that he wasn't going to pick up.  I couldn't remember his cell number or my in-laws' phone number and started thinking that I'd have to walk to their house.  The woman asked if I lived nearby and I said that I didn't live that close but that my in-laws did.  She soooo nicely drove me to their house.  On the way I mentioned that it was my first day back from maternity leave and it turned out that she's expecting her first baby in May and is going to the Prepared Childbirth classes at the hospital that Paul and I went to so we had a lot to talk about.

When I got to my in-laws they didn't answer the door right away as they thought I was a solicitor trying to sell them cable tv or something.  After I pounded for a while they came to the door, pretty surprised to see me!  I explained what happened and they called Paul.  His dad drove me home to pick up the spare key while his mom drove over to park next to my running car to make sure no one broke into it and stole it. 

When I finally got home Paul asked me how I'd managed to lock myself out.  I told him what happened and said that I couldn't understand why the doors were locked when I'd unlocked them just seconds ago to get into the car.  That's when he explained that the remote starter is known to cause a glitch in the electronics which makes the doors lock as soon as you put the key in the ignition.  He'd known that all along but had NEVER TOLD ME!!!!  Arghh....

The good news is that LP was not in the car with me, a complete stranger was willing to let me use her cell phone and even get in her car with her, and that I got to (at last) come home to this (by the way, thanks for the new hat NaNa- it's super cute!):


3-3-2009 8-21-23 PM17 by you.


So it was an eventful first day back at work for me.... LP did well at day care, there were two 2-year old girls there who LOVED him and kept holding his hands and trying to feed him their dolly bottles which is awfully cute.  He napped and pooped and played and was very well-behaved all evening too which was great- there was no huge crying fit around 7 pm as there usually is!

Today I'm working from home and not going near my car. And I'm memorizing the OnStar phone number as well as my in-law's phone number.  I'd recommend that you all start memorizing some phone numbers too, just in case!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Winter Looks Like...

(Welcome to anyone arriving here from Blue Zebra Photography !) (Oh!  And this is post # 500 on Ye Olde Blogge.  Wow!) I mentioned earlier that I'm participating in two different photography projects this year with other members of the Bloom Forum .   The second project I'm participating in are monthly photos that relate to a certain theme or word. For January, the theme is "Winter." We've had an odd winter so far here in Massachusetts.  Hardly any snow at all and over the weekend it was actually in the 50's which is pretty unusual.  We did have a brief snowstorm last week though and while LP and Eliza were cozied up on the couch together I wandered around and took a few photos of the scene.  I love how cozy it is in our house when it's snowy out and wanted to capture some images that conveyed that... From the Inside, Out: View From the Back Door: From here you can head over to Kelly Janssen's Photography

February: What Shadow Looks Like

  (Welcome if you’re coming from Suzanne O'Brien Studio in Northern California!) This month’s group photography theme was “shadow.”  I’ll admit, I had a bit of a hard time with this one.  We’re in the middle of the February doldrums around these parts, and while the sun does shine from time to time it’s cold and blustery and damp most days.  It was tough to get motivated and creative about this, but that’s the whole point of the challenge! The kids and I were in the living room one afternoon and LP was lining his toys up on the windowsill.  The (frigid) afternoon sun was pouring in and I realized that there was a sort of lightbox effect.   I enlisted LP’s help in photographing some of his favorite toys (and one of Eliza’s) so he was the “stylist” for this little photo shoot.  I think if we ever have a dedicated play room I might frame some of these photos for the walls! Sophie the Giraffe: Army Guys: Captain America (I never noticed how realistic this toy looks until I too

March: What Home Looks Like

(Welcome if you've arrived here from Laurie Schultz's blog !)  Over the years the definition of Home for me has changed.  Growing up it was, of course, the house I lived in with my parents and my brothers.   Even after college when I moved to another state “home” was still back in that house.   Although my apartments were homey and some of my roommates became like family to me, Home was always back in my hometown in the house I grew up in. Even after moving in with Paul, getting married, and buying our own house, a small part of me still felt like home was back in Pennsylvania.  We were creating our own newlywed version of home but I always referred to going to my parents’ house as “going home.”  This has changed since having children though.  Now home is here- where my heart is, figuratively and literally.  It’s wonderful and exhausting and messy and crazy- usually all at once.  And I wouldn't change any of it.  Now, home is where my hubby takes care of thin