Skip to main content

Bedtime....

Friday night we started the dreaded task of getting LP to sleep through the night in his crib in his own room instead of sleeping in the bassinet next to our bed.  My hubby has been saying we should do this for a few weeks now but I just wasn't quite ready- he seems so little still... But after the pediatrician insisted that he was ready, even if I wasn't, we decided to give it a try.


1-19-2009 2-19-58 PM76 by you.
Seriously?? You want me to pose with the big blue bear??

Here are the doctor's rules:

1. Put him to bed around 9 after doing his usual bedtime routine.
2. Put him to bed in his crib without a mobile, pacifier, etc.
3. If he cries let him cry it out for 15 minutes.  Then pick him up and soothe him, put him back down, repeat as necessary.
4. If he's hungry in the middle of the night don't feed him unless he cries for half an hour.


1-19-2009 2-16-40 PM59 by you.
Little Paul, practicing his Larry Holmes boxing moves...

So here's how it went:

Friday night I convinced Paul that LP wasn't ready for the crib yet and that we should start by just moving his bassinet into the nursery.  We were a little thrown off with our timing so he ended up going down around midnight.  He woke up at 2:30 and cried for 12 minutes.  He woke up at 3:30 and cried for 10 minutes (Paul slept through both of these sessions...).  He woke up at 4:30 and cried for 20 minutes before Paul went and got him.  When Paul couldn't get him to calm down I went in and took over.  After a few minutes of rocking he calmed down and I put him back in the bassinet where he slept until 6 when he wanted to eat.


1-19-2009 2-13-55 PM43 by you.
Deep in Thought...(Perhaps Pondering Who he Got the "Sticking Out Ears" Gene From)

Saturday night we put him down at 10 pm.  He slept until 4 and then cried for 10 minutes or so before he fell back asleep (note that he might have woken up at some other point in the night but we were so tired that we must have slept through it if he did!).  He woke up at 5:30 wanting to eat so I got up and fed him and then we fell back asleep on the couch.


1-19-2009 2-12-59 PM37 by you.
Mom! I told you just ONE more picture!

Tonight he went down just before 10.  Hopefully he'll repeat the performance of last night but we shall see! 


1-19-2009 2-12-57 PM36 by you.
Smiles!

The new plan (based on some of the doctor's advice and some of our own parental intuition) is as follows:

Spend a week or so getting him to sleep (mostly) through the night.  We're going to try getting him down a little earlier each night until eventually he's in bed around 8.  Then we'll transition him from his bassinet to his crib and see how that goes.... If we can get him to sleep well in his nursery before I go back to work in early March that would be great!

So far, so good but I'm not holding my breath!  Please keep your fingers crossed for us!


1-19-2009 2-09-08 PM6 by you.

Other recent developments on the LP front include lots more smiling and playing- he played by himself on his play gym for quite a while today without getting bored and wanting to be picked up.. He gets really excited when he kicks or hits one of the toys dangling from his play gym.  His excitement causes him to flail his arms and legs around which leads to more hitting of the toys which leads to more excitement- it's pretty funny!

Here's my favorite series of pictures from our most recent photo shoot:

1-19-2009 2-11-48 PM25 by you.

1-19-2009 2-11-39 PM24 by you.

1-19-2009 2-11-37 PM23 by you.

1-19-2009 2-11-34 PM22 by you.
Enough Already!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Winter Looks Like...

(Welcome to anyone arriving here from Blue Zebra Photography !) (Oh!  And this is post # 500 on Ye Olde Blogge.  Wow!) I mentioned earlier that I'm participating in two different photography projects this year with other members of the Bloom Forum .   The second project I'm participating in are monthly photos that relate to a certain theme or word. For January, the theme is "Winter." We've had an odd winter so far here in Massachusetts.  Hardly any snow at all and over the weekend it was actually in the 50's which is pretty unusual.  We did have a brief snowstorm last week though and while LP and Eliza were cozied up on the couch together I wandered around and took a few photos of the scene.  I love how cozy it is in our house when it's snowy out and wanted to capture some images that conveyed that... From the Inside, Out: View From the Back Door: From here you can head over to Kelly Janssen's Photography

February: What Shadow Looks Like

  (Welcome if you’re coming from Suzanne O'Brien Studio in Northern California!) This month’s group photography theme was “shadow.”  I’ll admit, I had a bit of a hard time with this one.  We’re in the middle of the February doldrums around these parts, and while the sun does shine from time to time it’s cold and blustery and damp most days.  It was tough to get motivated and creative about this, but that’s the whole point of the challenge! The kids and I were in the living room one afternoon and LP was lining his toys up on the windowsill.  The (frigid) afternoon sun was pouring in and I realized that there was a sort of lightbox effect.   I enlisted LP’s help in photographing some of his favorite toys (and one of Eliza’s) so he was the “stylist” for this little photo shoot.  I think if we ever have a dedicated play room I might frame some of these photos for the walls! Sophie the Giraffe: Army Guys: Captain America (I never noticed how realistic this toy looks until I too

March: What Home Looks Like

(Welcome if you've arrived here from Laurie Schultz's blog !)  Over the years the definition of Home for me has changed.  Growing up it was, of course, the house I lived in with my parents and my brothers.   Even after college when I moved to another state “home” was still back in that house.   Although my apartments were homey and some of my roommates became like family to me, Home was always back in my hometown in the house I grew up in. Even after moving in with Paul, getting married, and buying our own house, a small part of me still felt like home was back in Pennsylvania.  We were creating our own newlywed version of home but I always referred to going to my parents’ house as “going home.”  This has changed since having children though.  Now home is here- where my heart is, figuratively and literally.  It’s wonderful and exhausting and messy and crazy- usually all at once.  And I wouldn't change any of it.  Now, home is where my hubby takes care of thin