Skip to main content

Paul Thomas: Things to Remember, Five

Oh what a difference a year makes.  Paul turned FIVE on Sunday.  Last year, when he turned four, I lamented the fact that he had gone from a toddler to a little kid in the blink of an eye.  Another blink later and he’s not a little kid anymore- he’s a big kid, a five year old, heading off to pre-K with his backpack and his lunchbox and not even a wave good-bye over his shoulder. 

LP has grown several inches since he turned four- just look at the difference in the photos below, taken just about a year apart.  He looks like a baby to me in the first photo, and so grown up in the second.

 




At five, Paul is intelligent, engaging, witty, and I have to admit, rather adept at sarcasm (it runs in the family on both sides and was bound to happen).  He loves to talk to anyone and everyone but is particularly happy talking to grown-ups, especially the elderly people who frequent the YMCA we attend.   I’ve been told several times by them that he’ll grow up to be a politician or a salesman.  When I mentioned this to one woman she looked at him and said, “Perhaps a diplomat.”   Time will tell!

LP has a memory like an elephant (it IS the elephant who never forgets, right?).  Do not mention anything to him, even briefly or under your breath, because while he likes to pretend that he can’t hear me when asked to do his chores, he hears and remembers everything and it will come back to bite you in the long run.  He is constantly practicing his negotiating skills and is very fond of making deals, especially when it comes to his beloved “screen time.”

Paul remains completely obsessed with his baby sister.  Even as she gets into his things more and more, and has begun pushing him away when he hugs her too tight, or stamping her little feet and yelling at him, he continues to wax on about how adorable Eliza is.  He refuses to let anyone else beat him into her room when she wakes up in the morning or after a nap, insisting that he go in first.  Even with an almost four year age difference they play so well together, and Eliza is quite happy to follow “Ba” wherever he goes.

Always a skinny kid, Paul has gotten even skinnier as he’s grown taller but seems to be getting a little more athletic as he gets older.  In the past few months he learned to ride a bike (he still has training wheels but couldn’t even figure out how to pedal six months ago), get the glider on our swingset going on his own, and has a pretty natural swing with a baseball bat.  While he’s still timid about climbing and slides at the playground, and doesn’t quite keep up with the other kids running around, it doesn’t bother him at all.

LP’s favorite days of the week are the days when he has school or yoga class at the library.   He counts down on the calendar until it’s time for either activity and wakes up every morning asking if it’s a school day or a yoga day.  He’s made several new friends in Pre-K and is always telling me about the adventures they have at recess and who was naughty or well-behaved during circle time.   He had a few naughty moments himself earlier in the school year but quickly realized that joking around with Bobby when they were supposed to be paying attention just resulted in not being allowed to sit next to his friend and there’s been no trouble since.

Paul is growing up into just the kind of son and brother we’d hoped for, and we consider ourselves very very lucky parents indeed… He’s smart, silly, loving, and kind; full of hugs and kisses and cuddles for his sister and mommy and loves nothing more than hanging out and wrestling with his daddy. 

Although I hate that Paul is growing up so quickly he’s promised me over and over again that he’ll always be my baby, forever and always.

A look back in time:

lp2013birthdaylp2013birthday2lp2013birthday3lp2013birthday4lp2013birthday5

Comments

  1. You have a lovely boy there. Well done you, because it's all down to good parenting how well he has turned out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Winter Looks Like...

(Welcome to anyone arriving here from Blue Zebra Photography !) (Oh!  And this is post # 500 on Ye Olde Blogge.  Wow!) I mentioned earlier that I'm participating in two different photography projects this year with other members of the Bloom Forum .   The second project I'm participating in are monthly photos that relate to a certain theme or word. For January, the theme is "Winter." We've had an odd winter so far here in Massachusetts.  Hardly any snow at all and over the weekend it was actually in the 50's which is pretty unusual.  We did have a brief snowstorm last week though and while LP and Eliza were cozied up on the couch together I wandered around and took a few photos of the scene.  I love how cozy it is in our house when it's snowy out and wanted to capture some images that conveyed that... From the Inside, Out: View From the Back Door: From here you can head over to Kelly Janssen's Photography

February: What Shadow Looks Like

  (Welcome if you’re coming from Suzanne O'Brien Studio in Northern California!) This month’s group photography theme was “shadow.”  I’ll admit, I had a bit of a hard time with this one.  We’re in the middle of the February doldrums around these parts, and while the sun does shine from time to time it’s cold and blustery and damp most days.  It was tough to get motivated and creative about this, but that’s the whole point of the challenge! The kids and I were in the living room one afternoon and LP was lining his toys up on the windowsill.  The (frigid) afternoon sun was pouring in and I realized that there was a sort of lightbox effect.   I enlisted LP’s help in photographing some of his favorite toys (and one of Eliza’s) so he was the “stylist” for this little photo shoot.  I think if we ever have a dedicated play room I might frame some of these photos for the walls! Sophie the Giraffe: Army Guys: Captain America (I never noticed how realistic this toy looks until I too

March: What Home Looks Like

(Welcome if you've arrived here from Laurie Schultz's blog !)  Over the years the definition of Home for me has changed.  Growing up it was, of course, the house I lived in with my parents and my brothers.   Even after college when I moved to another state “home” was still back in that house.   Although my apartments were homey and some of my roommates became like family to me, Home was always back in my hometown in the house I grew up in. Even after moving in with Paul, getting married, and buying our own house, a small part of me still felt like home was back in Pennsylvania.  We were creating our own newlywed version of home but I always referred to going to my parents’ house as “going home.”  This has changed since having children though.  Now home is here- where my heart is, figuratively and literally.  It’s wonderful and exhausting and messy and crazy- usually all at once.  And I wouldn't change any of it.  Now, home is where my hubby takes care of thin