Skip to main content

Eliza Rose: Things to Remember, Month 12

Eliza had her one year-check up yesterday and was pronounced to be very healthy by our pediatrician.  We’re trying out our third pediatrician at the practice we go to and hopefully the third time’s the charm!   This pediatrician didn’t care that we’d skipped the pureed baby food (and in fact, pronounced it to be “cool”) or that Eliza has been eating peanut butter and shellfish since about 8 months.   She didn’t dwell on percentiles and charts and focused more on what she observed from examining Eliza and from talking to me.  For the first time in the more than five years that we’ve been going to this office I felt as though I was speaking to a pediatrician who trusted me as a parent, not to someone who thought that they knew best no matter what.  Such a relief!

Eliza weighed in right at 19 pounds and 29 1/4 inches tall.   She’s about a pound and a half lighter than LP was at 12 months but pretty much the same height, and is in the 25th- 50th percentiles for height and weight.  The doctor said she’s right on track developmentally!


At 12 months, just like her big brother before her, Eliza has learned to climb the stairs.  One day she could barely make it up one step, the next day she was up the entire flight before we even realized what she was doing.  Paul and I heard LP yelling from upstairs, “the baby is pestering me!”  Sure enough, she’d climbed the stairs to get to her big brother.   We now have the gate installed until she learns to climb down…_DSC6601

At 12 months, also like her big brother, she’s very adept at cruising on the furniture and has started taking one or two steps between people or things but is still finding her balance.  Unlike her brother though who was very content to cruise around, Eliza is furious about it and wants nothing more than to be able to walk on her own.   She spends most of her time trying to get me to pace the halls with her by grabbing at my fingers and standing up.  If I don’t give in and get up to walk her around immediately she flings herself on the floor, screaming.

_DSC6558

At 12 months Eliza is fascinated with taking things in and out.   She loves to open cabinets and drawers, take everything out, and then put it all back in.  At meals the food is taken from her plate to the highchair try and then put back.

_DSC6582

At 12 months Eliza is still a great sleeper.  When we’re home she takes a short nap in the morning and then a somewhat longer one in the afternoon.  If we’re out somewhere she’s just fine with a brief nap in the car.   At night she goes to bed around 7 pm and sleeps straight through until 7 am.   She has a stuffed owl with a blanket attached that is her Lovey and she falls asleep clutching it in her right hand with her left thumb in her mouth.

_DSC6587_DSC6589_DSC6584

At 12 months Eliza LOVES to go on the swing and has started enjoying the slide too.  She also loves to run around in the driveway in her walker, usually chasing after Paul on his bike.

_DSC6560

At 12 months Eliza very rarely wants to sit still and cuddle- she’d prefer to be on the go all the time and will push LP away if he tries to hug her too much.  If she is sitting still it’s usually to sit and look at her books.

_DSC6567

At 12 months Eliza Rose is a feisty little sweetheart with a mind of her own.  She knows what she wants and how to get it and has all of us wrapped around her pudgy little finger….

_DSC6609

She’s our lovebug, our sweetheart, our Eliza Rose…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Winter Looks Like...

(Welcome to anyone arriving here from Blue Zebra Photography !) (Oh!  And this is post # 500 on Ye Olde Blogge.  Wow!) I mentioned earlier that I'm participating in two different photography projects this year with other members of the Bloom Forum .   The second project I'm participating in are monthly photos that relate to a certain theme or word. For January, the theme is "Winter." We've had an odd winter so far here in Massachusetts.  Hardly any snow at all and over the weekend it was actually in the 50's which is pretty unusual.  We did have a brief snowstorm last week though and while LP and Eliza were cozied up on the couch together I wandered around and took a few photos of the scene.  I love how cozy it is in our house when it's snowy out and wanted to capture some images that conveyed that... From the Inside, Out: View From the Back Door: From here you can head over to Kelly Janssen's Photography

February: What Shadow Looks Like

  (Welcome if you’re coming from Suzanne O'Brien Studio in Northern California!) This month’s group photography theme was “shadow.”  I’ll admit, I had a bit of a hard time with this one.  We’re in the middle of the February doldrums around these parts, and while the sun does shine from time to time it’s cold and blustery and damp most days.  It was tough to get motivated and creative about this, but that’s the whole point of the challenge! The kids and I were in the living room one afternoon and LP was lining his toys up on the windowsill.  The (frigid) afternoon sun was pouring in and I realized that there was a sort of lightbox effect.   I enlisted LP’s help in photographing some of his favorite toys (and one of Eliza’s) so he was the “stylist” for this little photo shoot.  I think if we ever have a dedicated play room I might frame some of these photos for the walls! Sophie the Giraffe: Army Guys: Captain America (I never noticed how realistic this toy looks until I too

March: What Home Looks Like

(Welcome if you've arrived here from Laurie Schultz's blog !)  Over the years the definition of Home for me has changed.  Growing up it was, of course, the house I lived in with my parents and my brothers.   Even after college when I moved to another state “home” was still back in that house.   Although my apartments were homey and some of my roommates became like family to me, Home was always back in my hometown in the house I grew up in. Even after moving in with Paul, getting married, and buying our own house, a small part of me still felt like home was back in Pennsylvania.  We were creating our own newlywed version of home but I always referred to going to my parents’ house as “going home.”  This has changed since having children though.  Now home is here- where my heart is, figuratively and literally.  It’s wonderful and exhausting and messy and crazy- usually all at once.  And I wouldn't change any of it.  Now, home is where my hubby takes care of thin