Skip to main content

Some Progress....

Over the weekend we made a fair amount of progress on our latest DIY project.  Here are some photos!

Remember, this is the direction we're heading:

fireplace copy

LP and Paul painting the mantel:


All painted!:


Hooray!  After more than 4 years you can't see the cables and cords below the t.v. for the first time!


You can see a bit in this photo how our equipment shelf used to look- when we moved in Paul rigged up a temporary (4 year) solution by extending the bookshelf so that it was a bit deeper.  Unfortunately he didn't extend it enough so the equipment hung off the edge of it, which was both ugly and precarious!

2011-02-21 12-32-38_0037wm

And here's how it looks now:


By raising the shelf a bit we were able to hide more of the cords.  We also made the shelf deeper so our equipment actually fits better.  The CD player was banished to the basement (we can use our BluRay player to play CDs).  Raising the shelf gave us room for video storage underneath.  It's still not ideal (I'd love to not have to look at the equipment at all) but there's just nowhere else to put the equipment due to the location of our cable/windows/tv/etc.

The cabinet doors are almost done- I'm hoping we'll get those back in place tonight or tomorrow.

Next steps:  deciding on tile for the fireplace (and actually tiling it), and installing our new fireplace doors.  I'm pushing for glass tiles, Paul prefers marble.  We're also thinking about possibly slate since the hearth is slate.  Would save us a little money if we didn't have to tile the hearth as well.

Oh and these are our new fireplace doors:

Although we have brushed nickel fixtures in the rest of the house, we went with oil-rubbed bronze in the living room.  All in all, it's coming together really well.  The last of the ugly oak has finally been banished from our house, and we keep looking at the mantel and shelves and saying, "why didn't we do this sooner?"  




Popular posts from this blog

Checking in....

Thought it was time for a little update on the projects we're working on at Casa LeBaron.   In living room news, our fireplace is almost finished!  The new tile has been grouted (no pictures yet) and all we have left to do is seal the grout and install the new fireplace doors.  Then I have to figure out how I want to style the mantel- I usually just throw a bunch of frames and things up there but am not sure if that's the way I want to go right now...  Here's how it's looking (or, here's how it was looking before we grouted the tile): Below is a close up of how we fixed our cabinet doors.  Originally they were oak with horrible brass hardware.  The panels on each door front was cracked and they were U-G-L-Y.  So we popped out the panels, painted the frames, and used my handy dandy glue gun to inset new panels.  The new panels were made from one sheet of radiator screening that we cut to size and sprayed with oil-rubbed bronze spray paint.  We added new handles and…

Things to Remember: Eliza Rose, Age 3

Today our sweet little Eliza Rose turns three.  Like all moms, I'm sure, it's hard for me to believe that she's already out of toddler-hood and becoming a preschooler.  It seems as though we were just preparing for her to join our family yesterday and now, of course, it's impossible to imagine what life would be like without Eliza around.

Eliza might be the smallest person in our house but she has the largest personality by far.  Shy in public, she's boisterous and energetic at home- running all over, squealing with excitement, bossing everyone around and trying to take charge at all times. 

She's stubborn and sensitive, sweet and sassy, and over the top spicy.  

At three Eliza's favorite things are her brother, her doggies, mermaids, stories, and princesses.   She loves to play tea party, help in the kitchen and go swimming.    Sometimes she says she's "Eliza BaBaron"- other times she's a "puppy doggy" or a "mermaid with a pi…

Paul Thomas: Things to Remember, Five

Oh what a difference a year makes.  Paul turned FIVE on Sunday.  Last year, when he turned four, I lamented the fact that he had gone from a toddler to a little kid in the blink of an eye.  Another blink later and he’s not a little kid anymore- he’s a big kid, a five year old, heading off to pre-K with his backpack and his lunchbox and not even a wave good-bye over his shoulder. 

LP has grown several inches since he turned four- just look at the difference in the photos below, taken just about a year apart.  He looks like a baby to me in the first photo, and so grown up in the second.

At five, Paul is intelligent, engaging, witty, and I have to admit, rather adept at sarcasm (it runs in the family on both sides and was bound to happen).  He loves to talk to anyone and everyone but is particularly happy talking to grown-ups, especially the elderly people who frequent the YMCA we attend.   I’ve been told several times by them that he’ll grow up to be a politician or a salesman.  When I…