Skip to main content

Inspiration....

So in three weeks we'll hopefully know if baby # 2 is going to be another boy or a girl.  My bets are on boy, mainly because I've felt the exact same way throughout this pregnancy so far as I did with LP (i.e. no morning sickness but completely exhausted all the time).  

However, although I've predicted tons of other babies correctly (seriously, I haven't made a mistake yet in all of the times my friends/family have had babies), I thought LP would be a girl and was obviously wrong.  So we'll see.  

And you know me, I love to plan projects and make up inspiration boards for decorating.  If we have another boy I'm sure I'll make some changes to the nursery, but not as many as I'll make if we have a girl!  Today I thought I'd share all of the girl nursery ideas that have been keeping me up at night!

Our plan either way is to use our original nursery since we moved LP into his big boy room.  Once again we'll use the crib, glider, and changing table that we used before.  And we'd like to avoid painting as well, so I'm working with walls that are painted in a color called "Forever Denim."  Fortunately, I think I can easily make it work for a girl's room!

Here are a few "in progress" shots when we were putting the room together for LP so that you can see the chair, crib, wall color, and changing area.  (The blue is not QUITE this bright in real life- these pictures were taken before I knew what I was doing with my camera).

Nursery

Changing area

Here's what I've come up with so far:

nursery-girl copy

I'm going with a sort of "vintage sewing" type theme (shocking, I know!).  The background color in this image is our current wallcolor.  #9 are the additional colors I'd like to bring into the room to make it girly but not over the top princess pink.  In our original nursery we took the doors off the closet to put the changing table inside and painted the inside of the closet green.  I'd like to repaint that in the "grenadine" color which is sort of a coral-y pink.  Then, like in image #5, I'd like to add a border around the room that looks like eyelet lace- either with a vinyl cling on like the right-hand image or a DIY project like the left (which is contact paper cut to look like scallops).  

#7 are the fabrics I'd like to bring into the room.  The two florals are from a line called "London" which is fitting as I spent a year in England in college and am a HUGE angliophile.  I'm thinking about using the yellow gingham to faux-upholster the ends of our crib (in the top picture you can see that one end is wooden and the other end is plexiglass with primary colored balloons.  This was my crib as a baby and is still in great shape but I'm thinking that I might try covering those ends this time around.).  

Along with the eyelet border, I'm consdering a wall mural based on this one I saw online a while ago (#3).  It's painted to look like cross-stitch on the wall and I LOVE the technique!  It seems like it would be fairly easy to do as well!  My mother has a lot of my Nana's cross-stitch patterns so I'd probably try to use something from that stash.  Speaking of my Nana, many many years ago I took several of her vintage hankies and sewed them into a wall-quilt (#10).  I haven't found a place for it in this house and think it would be perfect in a girl nursery.  I still have some hankies left and might do a a bunting of sorts with them (#4).   I also have quite a few spools of thread from my Nana's collection and love the idea of using them as hooks (#1).  I think a collection of them on the wall with a vintage baby hanger and baby dress hanging from them would be so sweet.

Other touches will be new curtains and a little table next to the glider chair.  I'm not normally a tulle person but I think the use of tulle as a tableskirt is so cute (#2) and I already have the perfect little table stored away in our basement.  I wouldn't do blue curtains but like the curtains above (#11), would love to stitch vintage buttons (again from my Nana's collection) to something drapey.  

Years ago I purchased a print from one of my favorite children's artists, Sarah Jane, of this little girl reading (#8). It's been in my sewing room but a baby girl nursery would be the perfect place to hang it.  I also love this quote from Audrey Hepburn who has long been one of my idols and would love to incorporate it somehow (#6).  

So there it is!  A girl nursery, all planned out and put together (in my head!)  Now we just have to wait and see if I'll get to use these ideas or if I'll have to start over with a boy nursery!

What do you guys think?  Does it pass the "girly but not over the top" test? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Winter Looks Like...

(Welcome to anyone arriving here from Blue Zebra Photography !) (Oh!  And this is post # 500 on Ye Olde Blogge.  Wow!) I mentioned earlier that I'm participating in two different photography projects this year with other members of the Bloom Forum .   The second project I'm participating in are monthly photos that relate to a certain theme or word. For January, the theme is "Winter." We've had an odd winter so far here in Massachusetts.  Hardly any snow at all and over the weekend it was actually in the 50's which is pretty unusual.  We did have a brief snowstorm last week though and while LP and Eliza were cozied up on the couch together I wandered around and took a few photos of the scene.  I love how cozy it is in our house when it's snowy out and wanted to capture some images that conveyed that... From the Inside, Out: View From the Back Door: From here you can head over to Kelly Janssen's Photography

February: What Shadow Looks Like

  (Welcome if you’re coming from Suzanne O'Brien Studio in Northern California!) This month’s group photography theme was “shadow.”  I’ll admit, I had a bit of a hard time with this one.  We’re in the middle of the February doldrums around these parts, and while the sun does shine from time to time it’s cold and blustery and damp most days.  It was tough to get motivated and creative about this, but that’s the whole point of the challenge! The kids and I were in the living room one afternoon and LP was lining his toys up on the windowsill.  The (frigid) afternoon sun was pouring in and I realized that there was a sort of lightbox effect.   I enlisted LP’s help in photographing some of his favorite toys (and one of Eliza’s) so he was the “stylist” for this little photo shoot.  I think if we ever have a dedicated play room I might frame some of these photos for the walls! Sophie the Giraffe: Army Guys: Captain America (I never noticed how realistic this toy looks until I too

March: What Home Looks Like

(Welcome if you've arrived here from Laurie Schultz's blog !)  Over the years the definition of Home for me has changed.  Growing up it was, of course, the house I lived in with my parents and my brothers.   Even after college when I moved to another state “home” was still back in that house.   Although my apartments were homey and some of my roommates became like family to me, Home was always back in my hometown in the house I grew up in. Even after moving in with Paul, getting married, and buying our own house, a small part of me still felt like home was back in Pennsylvania.  We were creating our own newlywed version of home but I always referred to going to my parents’ house as “going home.”  This has changed since having children though.  Now home is here- where my heart is, figuratively and literally.  It’s wonderful and exhausting and messy and crazy- usually all at once.  And I wouldn't change any of it.  Now, home is where my hubby takes care of thin