Skip to main content

Always a Project...

Paul and I have this problem where as soon as we finish one project around our house, we immediately start thinking what to do next, even when the plan was to do nothing for a while.

After we finished up the patio, we planned to take a break from house projects for at least a month or two.  We worked so hard on that patio that we needed a break!

But then, last weekend, I mentioned to Paul that I was thinking of going to look at some paint colors for our full bath as I really hated the paint in there.  The next thing I knew we were buying floor tiles and a new vanity!  And then, hey, a new toilet!  And a new medicine cabinet! 

So, as usual, here are some before shots, some during shots, and a mockup of how it will look.  Hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll be able to post the "after" shots (the new toilet is being installed as I type!).

Here's how the bathroom looked when we bought the house- pale pink bathtub and surround with a matching toilet, sink, floor and counter top.  And an ugly oak vanity and medicine cabinet:

Full Bath

We lived with that bathroom for about 10 months, and then, while I was pregnant with LP and Paul was on a trip to Vegas to see his brothers I surprised him by redecorating the bathroom.  The walls were painted a beige color that we already had in our paint stash, and the vanity and medicine cabinet got a coat of chocolate brown paint.  And it was definitely an improvement, but still old and dingy looking, especially when my poor paint job started chipping off the vanity and cabinet.

Full Bath

After several hours spent ripping out the pink linoleum (most of it on our knees with a heat gun scraping glue off the floor), Paul got started with the tile.

2011-08-14 16-19-51_0041wm

2011-08-14 16-19-58_0042wm

And then I took care of the grout.

2011-08-17 17-09-22_0044wm

And the paint. 

I chose a color called "Iced Apricot," thinking it would brighten up this small, windowless bathroom and be flattering for putting on makeup.  When I brought the paint home I realized that by sheer coincidence it's exactly the same color as the shower surround and bathtub (and the old toilet and sink).  I was a little worried about the color but now I like it- I think it actually makes the pinky peach of the tub disappear somewhat (we'll be replacing the surround with a white one down the road and changing the tub to white as well).

2011-08-19 12-27-54_0048wm

2011-08-19 12-28-02_0049wm

2011-08-19 12-28-10_0050wm

Here's what we chose:

Bathroom

So that's where we are today!  It's been 6 days since we started, 6 days of showering upstairs but using the toilet and brushing our teeth downstairs and I'll be glad to have it finished and usable by the end of the weekend!


Comments

  1. This is exactly why I love you -- you're always coming up with such great visions for taking something and making it awesome. I know the bathroom will be gorgeous when you're through. I thought it was the same bathroom you had already redecorated when I saw the first pic -- and that was pretty impressive then! Can't wait to see the results. Kuddos to you two DIYers!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Checking in....

Thought it was time for a little update on the projects we're working on at Casa LeBaron.   In living room news, our fireplace is almost finished!  The new tile has been grouted (no pictures yet) and all we have left to do is seal the grout and install the new fireplace doors.  Then I have to figure out how I want to style the mantel- I usually just throw a bunch of frames and things up there but am not sure if that's the way I want to go right now...  Here's how it's looking (or, here's how it was looking before we grouted the tile): Below is a close up of how we fixed our cabinet doors.  Originally they were oak with horrible brass hardware.  The panels on each door front was cracked and they were U-G-L-Y.  So we popped out the panels, painted the frames, and used my handy dandy glue gun to inset new panels.  The new panels were made from one sheet of radiator screening that we cut to size and sprayed with oil-rubbed bronze spray paint.  We added new handles and…

11 Days, 2 Parties, 6 Cakes, and 600 Miles...

Phew!  The past two weeks have been pretty hectic and LP and I are just starting to recover! 

We started last weekend with a big bbq bash at our house.  We had about 30 people over (about half were under the age of 3- yikes!) and made a ton of food.  Grillmaster Paul smoked 3 racks of ribs, made pulled pork (which he started smoking at 7 a.m.!), grilled chicken wings, and made all of the various rubs and sauces to go with each.  DELICIOUS. 

Unfortunately, I only got one photo of the whole thing:



A few days later it was Paul's birthday so his parents came over to celebrate over a big meal of Paul's favorite pasta dish.  It's a dish he ate while we were on our honeymoon- the restaurant chef was nice enough to send me the recipe so I could recreate the meal for our first anniversary and it has since become the go-to dish for Paul's birthday every year.  Yummy smoked gouda, pancetta, and artichokes tossed with pasta- delicious!



He blew out 9 candles on his cake (I didn't…

Things to Remember: Eliza Rose, Age 3

Today our sweet little Eliza Rose turns three.  Like all moms, I'm sure, it's hard for me to believe that she's already out of toddler-hood and becoming a preschooler.  It seems as though we were just preparing for her to join our family yesterday and now, of course, it's impossible to imagine what life would be like without Eliza around.


Eliza might be the smallest person in our house but she has the largest personality by far.  Shy in public, she's boisterous and energetic at home- running all over, squealing with excitement, bossing everyone around and trying to take charge at all times. 

She's stubborn and sensitive, sweet and sassy, and over the top spicy.  

At three Eliza's favorite things are her brother, her doggies, mermaids, stories, and princesses.   She loves to play tea party, help in the kitchen and go swimming.    Sometimes she says she's "Eliza BaBaron"- other times she's a "puppy doggy" or a "mermaid with a pi…