Skip to main content

Big Boy Bedroom

Day 2 of the Big Boy Bedroom involved lots and lots of painting. I always get stuck with the edging and trim as I'm no good with a roller so I was up and down the stepstool all day- laying on the floor to do the baseboards, reaching above my head to do the edge between the walls and the ceiling, etc.  It was quite a workout really!

We have one more coat to put on the walls and I have to do another coat on the trim- we're hoping to get some of that accomplished this week!  Here's a photo of where things are right now (this photo does a pretty good job of showing the colors we chose- I realized as I was painting the trim that they're very similar to the paint colors in my bedroom growing up!):

2010-10-03 19-36-42_0002

And now, what you've all been waiting for- my inspiration board!

LP's-Bedroom

The top left shows the wall color and trim color we chose.  They're both Glidden paint colors- the walls are "Soft Sage" and the trim is "Frosted Pine."  We also chose a Martha Stewart color called "Mariner Blue" to paint our old bedroom dresser and the bed with- that's the blue square you see above.  We bought the bed on the right although in a natural finish and will paint it blue.  The blue, green and brown squares is the area rug we currently have in the nursery.  I think we're going to have to look for something larger though as it's a bigger room.  On the bottom are some bedding ideas although I'm not in love with anything I've found yet (at least not our price range as we're trying to do this as cheap as we can!).  In the center is an awesome United States chalkboard that I saw on a blog somewhere- you basically cut a piece of mdf into the shape and then paint it with chalkboard paint.  Paul has agree to help me do this.  Since LP is obsessed with his Thomas trains we're doing a sort of trains/transportation themed room but I'm trying to keep it as non-cartoony as we can so that we won't have to change too much as he gets older. 

Here's our idea for the floor plan:
The bed will go on the far wall with the bookcase tucked under the angled ceiling (we think the bookcase headboard might be a few inches too high but I think we'll be able to shorten it if necessary).  The bed will run along that wall under the shelf (where we'll probably stash most of LP's stuffed animals).

On the wall under that oh-so-lovely bare light bulb we'll put the long, low dresser.  I'm debating a few ideas for something large to put on the wall above the dresser as that's the only large, empty wall in the room.  LP is getting a train table for his birthday which will most likely go opposite the dresser just under the window.  I'll be adding a little cushion to the window seat (and we'll rig the window so that he can't open it all the way).

2010-10-02 18-19-36_0003

At the other end of the room is a large closet which we're reserving for winter coats and luggage- a two-year-old really doesn't need any hanging space and he'll have plenty of storage between his dresser, the drawers under his  bed, and the built-in drawers.  The corner between the built-ins and the closet will become his reading nook- we'll add a bookcase and either his little chair or a bunch of floor pillows or something.  I think the USA chalkboard will go on that wall directly above the built-ins.

2010-10-02 18-20-02_0006

We're hoping to finish painting this week and then set-up and paint the bed this weekend.  LP and I are going out of town for a few days next weekend and Paul is going to take advantage of our absence and refinish the hardwood floors which desperately need it...

So that's our plan so far!  I'll keep you updated as it comes along!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Winter Looks Like...

(Welcome to anyone arriving here from Blue Zebra Photography !) (Oh!  And this is post # 500 on Ye Olde Blogge.  Wow!) I mentioned earlier that I'm participating in two different photography projects this year with other members of the Bloom Forum .   The second project I'm participating in are monthly photos that relate to a certain theme or word. For January, the theme is "Winter." We've had an odd winter so far here in Massachusetts.  Hardly any snow at all and over the weekend it was actually in the 50's which is pretty unusual.  We did have a brief snowstorm last week though and while LP and Eliza were cozied up on the couch together I wandered around and took a few photos of the scene.  I love how cozy it is in our house when it's snowy out and wanted to capture some images that conveyed that... From the Inside, Out: View From the Back Door: From here you can head over to Kelly Janssen's Photography

February: What Shadow Looks Like

  (Welcome if you’re coming from Suzanne O'Brien Studio in Northern California!) This month’s group photography theme was “shadow.”  I’ll admit, I had a bit of a hard time with this one.  We’re in the middle of the February doldrums around these parts, and while the sun does shine from time to time it’s cold and blustery and damp most days.  It was tough to get motivated and creative about this, but that’s the whole point of the challenge! The kids and I were in the living room one afternoon and LP was lining his toys up on the windowsill.  The (frigid) afternoon sun was pouring in and I realized that there was a sort of lightbox effect.   I enlisted LP’s help in photographing some of his favorite toys (and one of Eliza’s) so he was the “stylist” for this little photo shoot.  I think if we ever have a dedicated play room I might frame some of these photos for the walls! Sophie the Giraffe: Army Guys: Captain America (I never noticed how realistic this toy looks until I too

March: What Home Looks Like

(Welcome if you've arrived here from Laurie Schultz's blog !)  Over the years the definition of Home for me has changed.  Growing up it was, of course, the house I lived in with my parents and my brothers.   Even after college when I moved to another state “home” was still back in that house.   Although my apartments were homey and some of my roommates became like family to me, Home was always back in my hometown in the house I grew up in. Even after moving in with Paul, getting married, and buying our own house, a small part of me still felt like home was back in Pennsylvania.  We were creating our own newlywed version of home but I always referred to going to my parents’ house as “going home.”  This has changed since having children though.  Now home is here- where my heart is, figuratively and literally.  It’s wonderful and exhausting and messy and crazy- usually all at once.  And I wouldn't change any of it.  Now, home is where my hubby takes care of thin