Skip to main content

Recent Events...

I apologize for not posting anything recently.  Summer has been getting away from me!

Two weekends ago BP, LP and I took a trip to PA to visit Nana and Pappy.  It was quite an exciting trip with lots of "firsts" for the little guy!

LP was great in the car as usual.  Even though he was awake for 5 out of the 6 hour trip he behaved well and didn't fuss too much which was great.

2010-07-08 11.30.32

We arrived in PA on Thursday afternoon.  Friday morning we decided to take LP to the Lehigh Valley Zoo.  When I was little we used to go to the zoo pretty regularly, although it was called Trexler Game Preserve back then.  It's pretty much the same now as it was back then, at least as far as I can remember.  It's a small zoo, the most exotic animals they have are a few zebras, but they have a great petting zoo area and it's not crowded or overwhelming for a toddler. 

2010-07-09 11-37-54_0067
Pappy and LP checking out the penguins.

2010-07-09 11-45-09_0070
A river otter showing off. 

2010-07-09 11-46-57_0071
With Nana and Pappy

2010-07-09 12-06-38_0079
Petting the goats.

2010-07-09 12-07-06_0082
Brushing the goat's hair.  I think this was LP's favorite part of the whole day!

2010-07-09 12-07-09_0083

2010-07-09 12-11-34_0092
Feeding the goats wasn't quite as much fun for LP- I think they scared him a bit!

2010-07-09 12-22-51_0098
We saw some mommy kangaroos with their young.  The kangaroo on the left is actually the baby and is trying to get back into his mother's pouch.  It was pretty wild to see him squirm his way in there.  They actually let us into the enclosure where the kangaroos live- all that was between us was a single rope. 

2010-07-09 12-26-33_0100
With Daddy- look at those rosy cheeks- it was hot hot hot!!

2010-07-09 12-26-54_0103
One of LP's favorite animals- the "zooey" (aka Zebra)

2010-07-09 12-34-40_0115
Looking at a sleeping camel with Mommy

2010-07-09 12-36-02_0117

After a long hot morning at the zoo (followed by lunch in downtown Bethlehem where we were unknowingly filmed by a television crew and on the local news later as "tourists staying at the local hotel") we spent the afternoon in Nana and Pappy's pool:

2010-07-09 16-37-05_0134

Little Paul and I are doing Mommy and Me Swim Class at the YMCA this summer so he's slowly getting more comfortable in the water.  He LOVES playing in his bath or in the backyard with a bucket of water, the sprinkler, or the house but the pool is a bit overwhelming. 

On Saturday we visited with Uncle Russ and Cousin Gayle (where I forgot to take any pictures- darn!) and then Pappy told us he had a surprise for Little Paul later in the afternoon.  The only hint he would give us ahead of time was that it was loud, something that my brothers and I had done as kids, and something that made some of us cry when we were little.  He eventually told us that we were going to take LP to the Tatamy Firemen's Parade. 

Tatamy is a small town near where I grew up (technically it's just a borough I think, population around 1000) where they have a fireman's parade every summer.  All of the local fire departments send their trucks over and they parade through the town, throwing candy to the kids and running their sirens.  We weren't too sure how LP would do with the noise as it can be rather startling (not to mention really LOUD!) but thought we'd find out!

2010-07-10 17-51-34_0138

We got to Tatamy about half an hour before the parade was supposed to start as my dad was worried about the crowds.  LP took the picture below (he's obsessed with the camera) which proves that there was really no reason to worry:

2010-07-10 17-59-47_0146

He took this photo of Paul too while we were waiting for the parade:

2010-07-10 18-00-04_0147

Finally, after staking out our prime spots on the curb for more than an hour (it's a veeerrrrry slow moving parade and we were sitting towards the end of the route) we saw the trucks coming!

2010-07-10 18-47-01_0155

LP was so busy eating the lollipop one of the firemen gave him that he didn't care at all about the noise. 

2010-07-10 18-47-18_0158

2010-07-10 18-54-34_0162



And he got a little excited about the trucks and the parade but was mostly just focused on his candy:

2010-07-10 18-59-49_0167

Unfortunately we'd forgotten that the parade moves really slowly and had parked on the inside of the parade route and so couldn't leave until the parade was over.  The parade lasted more than 2 hours which was a bit more than some of us could really take!  (If we ever go again we'll keep this in mind and make sure to park OUTSIDE of the parade route and to sit closer to the start of the parade).

2010-07-10 19-27-44_0170

And so LP had his first trip to the zoo and his first parade while we were visiting Nana and Pappy.  We all had a great time!  Little Paul behaved nicely in the car on the way home too!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Winter Looks Like...

(Welcome to anyone arriving here from Blue Zebra Photography !) (Oh!  And this is post # 500 on Ye Olde Blogge.  Wow!) I mentioned earlier that I'm participating in two different photography projects this year with other members of the Bloom Forum .   The second project I'm participating in are monthly photos that relate to a certain theme or word. For January, the theme is "Winter." We've had an odd winter so far here in Massachusetts.  Hardly any snow at all and over the weekend it was actually in the 50's which is pretty unusual.  We did have a brief snowstorm last week though and while LP and Eliza were cozied up on the couch together I wandered around and took a few photos of the scene.  I love how cozy it is in our house when it's snowy out and wanted to capture some images that conveyed that... From the Inside, Out: View From the Back Door: From here you can head over to Kelly Janssen's Photography

February: What Shadow Looks Like

  (Welcome if you’re coming from Suzanne O'Brien Studio in Northern California!) This month’s group photography theme was “shadow.”  I’ll admit, I had a bit of a hard time with this one.  We’re in the middle of the February doldrums around these parts, and while the sun does shine from time to time it’s cold and blustery and damp most days.  It was tough to get motivated and creative about this, but that’s the whole point of the challenge! The kids and I were in the living room one afternoon and LP was lining his toys up on the windowsill.  The (frigid) afternoon sun was pouring in and I realized that there was a sort of lightbox effect.   I enlisted LP’s help in photographing some of his favorite toys (and one of Eliza’s) so he was the “stylist” for this little photo shoot.  I think if we ever have a dedicated play room I might frame some of these photos for the walls! Sophie the Giraffe: Army Guys: Captain America (I never noticed how realistic this toy looks until I too

March: What Home Looks Like

(Welcome if you've arrived here from Laurie Schultz's blog !)  Over the years the definition of Home for me has changed.  Growing up it was, of course, the house I lived in with my parents and my brothers.   Even after college when I moved to another state “home” was still back in that house.   Although my apartments were homey and some of my roommates became like family to me, Home was always back in my hometown in the house I grew up in. Even after moving in with Paul, getting married, and buying our own house, a small part of me still felt like home was back in Pennsylvania.  We were creating our own newlywed version of home but I always referred to going to my parents’ house as “going home.”  This has changed since having children though.  Now home is here- where my heart is, figuratively and literally.  It’s wonderful and exhausting and messy and crazy- usually all at once.  And I wouldn't change any of it.  Now, home is where my hubby takes care of thin