Skip to main content

National Peanut Butter Lovers' Day....

Anyone who knows me knows that one my most favorite things in the world is peanut butter.  It's the one thing I would have to have to survive being stranded on a desert island.  In fact, when I spent my junior year abroad in England the one thing I asked my parents to bring when they came to visit was peanut butter- I needed my Jif!

For my birthday this year my in-laws gave me a fantastic present: a 3-month membership to the Peanut Butter of the Month Club.  That's right, there's a club!  Every month I get 2 jars of peanut butter in the mail- the best mail ever!

Since today is officially (according to whoever decides this type of thing) National Peanut Butter Lovers' Day, I thought I'd review the first two jars of peanut butter I received.  The package was waiting on our kitchen counter when we got home from our recent trip to Las Vegas (which I still have to tell y'all about!) and I literally walked in the door with my suitcase, dropped it on the floor, and ripped open the box while Paul snickered at my pathetic peanut butter obsession.  I *might* have been more excited about my peanut butter than I was to see our dogs after being away for a week.  Hell, I WAS more excited!

The first jar I pulled out of the box was a jar of Nutty's Old Fashioned Peanut Butter, Peanut Butter Cup flavor.  It's described as "Peanut Butter Blended with Milk Chocolate," which (yay!) is exactly what it tastes like.  It's somewhere between creamy and crunchy, with that sort of natural peanut butter gritty-ness to it, with cocoa mixed in.  And boy, is it tasty.  It's not super chocolate-y but has just enough added to be quite yummy.  Nutty's is based in Texas and currently makes about a dozen different types of PB, available online.  (Peanut Butterscotch sounds fantastic!)  They even have their own Peanut Butter of the Month Club for the true Nutty's fan.



I could probably do without the Bible quote on the packaging, as I'm not totally sure what that has to do with peanut butter (although I guess Peanut Butter IS Heaven-sent!) but for a jar full of scrumptiousness I'm willing to deal.  The PBOMC sent along a recipe for marshmallow squares or something made with Nutty's butter but I prefer to just keep it right out on the counter, in easy reach for grabbing an after-dinner spoonful of deliciousness.

The second jar in this month's shipment is Teddie Smooth Old-Fashioned All Natural Peanut Butter.  Teddie Smooth is produced just outside of Boston actually which probably explains why I've seen it in a few of the local grocery stores.  They make 5 different PBs, including salted and unsalted smooths and super chunkies and an organic smooth (with organic crunchy coming soon).



I'll admit, I was a little disappointed upon pulling out the jar of Teddie Smooth.  I grew up on Jif- only Jif, because, as you know, "Choosy Moms Choose Jif," and for many many years (we're talking 30+ years, and I'm not *much* older than that) Jif was the only PB I ate.  On occasion as a kid my mom would go on some sort of weird health-store bender and would come home with carob-covered raisins and a jar of the peanut butter that they grind right there at the store, the kind you have to keep in the fridge and stir before using, and that spreads on your bread about as easily as wet cement, and us kids (and my dad) always freaked out.  We wanted our Jif (with the exception of my youngest brother who abhors Peanut Butter- I could share several funny stories about my middle brother and I tricking him into taking bites out of things filled with peanut butter- whoowhee were we funny!).

Recently, in a fit of thriftiness, I bought a jar of Skippy (gasp!) and discovered that Jif and Skippy are pretty much interchangeable.  And then, as I've gotten even thriftier (cheap- as some might say), I made the switch to store-brand.  But still, it was pretty much the same as my beloved Jiff- super creamy, and chock full of sugar and other bad things!

So when I saw the "Old Fashioned" label on the Teddie Smooth, along with the directions to keep it in the fridge and stir before using, I assumed I wouldn't enjoy this jar.  I was already flipping through the recipe book in my brain for cookies to make with it in order to use it up. 

And then, I tasted a spoonful.  And then I took another.  And while it's not quite as smooth as my Jif, it's super tasty.  Very fresh tasting, very peanut-y, which, I suppose, is the point.  And it's easy to spread, much easier than the freshly ground stuff Mom brought home back in the day.  My toast survives the spreading fully intact and while I've been keeping it in the fridge, it really doesn't require all that much stirring (although this could be, in part, due to the fact that it's not allowed to sit for very long without someone dipping a spoon or knife in!).

On the days when I'm not spending an hour and a half commuting in the morning I usually have 2 slices of peanut butter toast for breakfast.  And I'm usually pretty darn hungry again by noon.  I've noticed that since switching to the Teddie Creamy I'm not hungry as soon- the lack of sugar and corn syrup and other additives seems to make the power of the peanut last much longer.  And even though I grew up on the junky peanut butter (and hey, I turned out ok!) I do feel better about giving LP the Old Fashioned stuff where the only ingredients on the label are roasted peanuts and salt. 



So there you go, Month 1 of the Peanut Butter of the Month Club.

Hope you're all planning to celebrate National Peanut Butter Lovers' Day in a big way today- personally, I like to celebrate it EVERY day but am thrilled to learn that PB has it's very own special day for celebration!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Checking in....

Thought it was time for a little update on the projects we're working on at Casa LeBaron.   In living room news, our fireplace is almost finished!  The new tile has been grouted (no pictures yet) and all we have left to do is seal the grout and install the new fireplace doors.  Then I have to figure out how I want to style the mantel- I usually just throw a bunch of frames and things up there but am not sure if that's the way I want to go right now...  Here's how it's looking (or, here's how it was looking before we grouted the tile): Below is a close up of how we fixed our cabinet doors.  Originally they were oak with horrible brass hardware.  The panels on each door front was cracked and they were U-G-L-Y.  So we popped out the panels, painted the frames, and used my handy dandy glue gun to inset new panels.  The new panels were made from one sheet of radiator screening that we cut to size and sprayed with oil-rubbed bronze spray paint.  We added new handles and…

Paul Thomas: Things to Remember, Five

Oh what a difference a year makes.  Paul turned FIVE on Sunday.  Last year, when he turned four, I lamented the fact that he had gone from a toddler to a little kid in the blink of an eye.  Another blink later and he’s not a little kid anymore- he’s a big kid, a five year old, heading off to pre-K with his backpack and his lunchbox and not even a wave good-bye over his shoulder. 

LP has grown several inches since he turned four- just look at the difference in the photos below, taken just about a year apart.  He looks like a baby to me in the first photo, and so grown up in the second.





At five, Paul is intelligent, engaging, witty, and I have to admit, rather adept at sarcasm (it runs in the family on both sides and was bound to happen).  He loves to talk to anyone and everyone but is particularly happy talking to grown-ups, especially the elderly people who frequent the YMCA we attend.   I’ve been told several times by them that he’ll grow up to be a politician or a salesman.  When I…

Things to Remember: Eliza Rose, Age 3

Today our sweet little Eliza Rose turns three.  Like all moms, I'm sure, it's hard for me to believe that she's already out of toddler-hood and becoming a preschooler.  It seems as though we were just preparing for her to join our family yesterday and now, of course, it's impossible to imagine what life would be like without Eliza around.


Eliza might be the smallest person in our house but she has the largest personality by far.  Shy in public, she's boisterous and energetic at home- running all over, squealing with excitement, bossing everyone around and trying to take charge at all times. 

She's stubborn and sensitive, sweet and sassy, and over the top spicy.  

At three Eliza's favorite things are her brother, her doggies, mermaids, stories, and princesses.   She loves to play tea party, help in the kitchen and go swimming.    Sometimes she says she's "Eliza BaBaron"- other times she's a "puppy doggy" or a "mermaid with a pi…