Skip to main content

One Quick Project....

For a while I've been looking at purchasing a bookshelf for LP's books like this one where all the books face forward:


Then one of the bloggers I read (and now, of course, I can't remember who it was!) had the brilliant idea to take an old shoe rack and turn it into a similar shelf.  "Aha!" I  thought!  We had an old DVD rack down in the basement that could probably be put to use again!

It looked a lot like this:



So this past weekend I finally got around to it.  And it was one of those projects that I wish I'd done long ago as it hardly took any time at all!  The result:





Of course, LP's favorite new game is called "Dump and Drop" where he dumps over his toy baskets or pulls everything off a shelf so while he did sit and quietly look at a book for a few minutes after I had his new shelf set up, less than 5 minutes later he'd pulled everything off the shelves, even standing on his tippytoes to reach the toys on the top shelf.

I'm pretty happy with the result but am planning to redo it already!  As I wasn't sure how it would turn out I just used some ugly cheap fabric I had lying around.  And I didn't quite have enough fabric to line the insides of the pockets or to make the top pocket deeper.  So one of these days I'll sew up some new pockets- you simply unscrew the dowels that held the DVD's and slide the pockets onto them.

Easy peasy!  LP loves being able to get to all of his books easily and the best part is that it was FREE!!!






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Checking in....

Thought it was time for a little update on the projects we're working on at Casa LeBaron.   In living room news, our fireplace is almost finished!  The new tile has been grouted (no pictures yet) and all we have left to do is seal the grout and install the new fireplace doors.  Then I have to figure out how I want to style the mantel- I usually just throw a bunch of frames and things up there but am not sure if that's the way I want to go right now...  Here's how it's looking (or, here's how it was looking before we grouted the tile): Below is a close up of how we fixed our cabinet doors.  Originally they were oak with horrible brass hardware.  The panels on each door front was cracked and they were U-G-L-Y.  So we popped out the panels, painted the frames, and used my handy dandy glue gun to inset new panels.  The new panels were made from one sheet of radiator screening that we cut to size and sprayed with oil-rubbed bronze spray paint.  We added new handles and…

11 Days, 2 Parties, 6 Cakes, and 600 Miles...

Phew!  The past two weeks have been pretty hectic and LP and I are just starting to recover! 

We started last weekend with a big bbq bash at our house.  We had about 30 people over (about half were under the age of 3- yikes!) and made a ton of food.  Grillmaster Paul smoked 3 racks of ribs, made pulled pork (which he started smoking at 7 a.m.!), grilled chicken wings, and made all of the various rubs and sauces to go with each.  DELICIOUS. 

Unfortunately, I only got one photo of the whole thing:



A few days later it was Paul's birthday so his parents came over to celebrate over a big meal of Paul's favorite pasta dish.  It's a dish he ate while we were on our honeymoon- the restaurant chef was nice enough to send me the recipe so I could recreate the meal for our first anniversary and it has since become the go-to dish for Paul's birthday every year.  Yummy smoked gouda, pancetta, and artichokes tossed with pasta- delicious!



He blew out 9 candles on his cake (I didn't…

Things to Remember: Eliza Rose, Age 3

Today our sweet little Eliza Rose turns three.  Like all moms, I'm sure, it's hard for me to believe that she's already out of toddler-hood and becoming a preschooler.  It seems as though we were just preparing for her to join our family yesterday and now, of course, it's impossible to imagine what life would be like without Eliza around.


Eliza might be the smallest person in our house but she has the largest personality by far.  Shy in public, she's boisterous and energetic at home- running all over, squealing with excitement, bossing everyone around and trying to take charge at all times. 

She's stubborn and sensitive, sweet and sassy, and over the top spicy.  

At three Eliza's favorite things are her brother, her doggies, mermaids, stories, and princesses.   She loves to play tea party, help in the kitchen and go swimming.    Sometimes she says she's "Eliza BaBaron"- other times she's a "puppy doggy" or a "mermaid with a pi…