Skip to main content

Nursery Inspiration


A few weeks ago I was pretty sure I knew exactly how I wanted to decorate the nursery. Of course, that was when I thought we were having a girl...

Years ago I stumbled across an adorable flannel print on a remnant table somewhere- I snapped up several yards for $10 or so, figuring that some day I'd find a use for it. When I found out I was pregnant I immediately ran upstairs to my fabric stash and pulled it out. I decided to do aqua/robin's egg blue walls with vintage prints and the flannel fabric as my inspiration. I figured I would just add more pink or blue depending on whether the baby ended up being a boy or a girl.

We're using the crib I had as a baby and some other pieces of furniture we're acquiring via Craig's List and Mom and Dad's attic so I thought I'd paint everything a creamy white so that it all matches. I envisioned a very soothing and tranquil nursery.

Now that I know that we're having a boy however my vision has changed a bit. I still want to use vintage touches like my Dad's old baby dish and some beautiful vintage posters I purchased but I think I might want to be a little more bold with the colors.

Below is my current inspiration board. We're most likely purchasing the creamy white chenille chair and the changing table this weekend from Craig's List- I'll probably paint the table and the shelves we're getting from my folks as planned. I'd still like to do aqua walls as that way if we have another baby in a few years and it's a girl the color will still work. But I might change the fabrics... I'm now leaning towards aqua with red accents and maybe a little navy thrown in.



I have a small piece of the Dick and Jane fabric on the bottom left, and am considering using that along with the Dick and Jane blocks above it as my accent fabrics. With some red and cream ticking for the curtains, the crib skirt, and some other touches I think it would be really cute! The two books in the inspiration board show 2 of the prints that I have that I'd like to frame in cream-colored frames. I have 2 different baby plates in the same style, one was my fathers, one was purchased at Brimfield and I'll hang those on the wall with plate hangers. We also have an adorable vintage Lucite nightlight shaped like a spaniel that my mother got for us- I think it will work perfectly in the room...


What do you think?? Opinions? Suggestions??? Right now I'm really loving this idea and can ALMOST see it in my head....

Comments

  1. Aww, you never cease to amaze. In a few years you should audition for HGTV design star. :) It's going to look beautiful. I love how you combined things that have sentimental value with things that you've acquired for future projects. The creamy white furniture will look awesome. Can't wait to see how you progress. Make sure everyone else lifts the furniture!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Winter Looks Like...

(Welcome to anyone arriving here from Blue Zebra Photography !) (Oh!  And this is post # 500 on Ye Olde Blogge.  Wow!) I mentioned earlier that I'm participating in two different photography projects this year with other members of the Bloom Forum .   The second project I'm participating in are monthly photos that relate to a certain theme or word. For January, the theme is "Winter." We've had an odd winter so far here in Massachusetts.  Hardly any snow at all and over the weekend it was actually in the 50's which is pretty unusual.  We did have a brief snowstorm last week though and while LP and Eliza were cozied up on the couch together I wandered around and took a few photos of the scene.  I love how cozy it is in our house when it's snowy out and wanted to capture some images that conveyed that... From the Inside, Out: View From the Back Door: From here you can head over to Kelly Janssen's Photography

February: What Shadow Looks Like

  (Welcome if you’re coming from Suzanne O'Brien Studio in Northern California!) This month’s group photography theme was “shadow.”  I’ll admit, I had a bit of a hard time with this one.  We’re in the middle of the February doldrums around these parts, and while the sun does shine from time to time it’s cold and blustery and damp most days.  It was tough to get motivated and creative about this, but that’s the whole point of the challenge! The kids and I were in the living room one afternoon and LP was lining his toys up on the windowsill.  The (frigid) afternoon sun was pouring in and I realized that there was a sort of lightbox effect.   I enlisted LP’s help in photographing some of his favorite toys (and one of Eliza’s) so he was the “stylist” for this little photo shoot.  I think if we ever have a dedicated play room I might frame some of these photos for the walls! Sophie the Giraffe: Army Guys: Captain America (I never noticed how realistic this toy looks until I too

March: What Home Looks Like

(Welcome if you've arrived here from Laurie Schultz's blog !)  Over the years the definition of Home for me has changed.  Growing up it was, of course, the house I lived in with my parents and my brothers.   Even after college when I moved to another state “home” was still back in that house.   Although my apartments were homey and some of my roommates became like family to me, Home was always back in my hometown in the house I grew up in. Even after moving in with Paul, getting married, and buying our own house, a small part of me still felt like home was back in Pennsylvania.  We were creating our own newlywed version of home but I always referred to going to my parents’ house as “going home.”  This has changed since having children though.  Now home is here- where my heart is, figuratively and literally.  It’s wonderful and exhausting and messy and crazy- usually all at once.  And I wouldn't change any of it.  Now, home is where my hubby takes care of thin