Skip to main content

Political Mumbo Jumbo...

So tomorrow is election day. And while Massachusetts is decidedly a blue state, we have quite a few races that have been getting rather contentious. The phone calls and mailings have been insane. Even Matt Damon called pushing us to support a particular candidate! Quite frankly, I think most people are fed up with all the negative ads and constant phone calls and signs in peoples' yards. The whole thing needs to just be over with already!

I'm not going to get into my personal political beliefs. I was raised by Republicans who are now staunch Democrats but am married to a Republican and I've learned to keep my mouth shut on my more independent views in mixed company. I'm the kind of person who is never totally convinced that I've made the right choice. I'm never sure that one person is better for the job than the other. I'm never totally on one candidate's side or the other, and many election years I don't really know who I'm going to vote for up until the last few days. Seeing the ads, watching the debates, none of that is really enough to convince me to vote one way or another. And quite frankly, I sometimes feel as though my vote doesn't matter that much since we don't live in a swing state.

But still, tomorrow I'll take LP and Eliza with me to the polls. We'll troop into the elementary school gymnasium together and fill out my ballot. We'll get stickers that said we voted.

As the late, great Whitney Houston, sang, "I believe the children are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way..." Even in a non-swing state, our votes matter. Our actions matter. And as parents it's our job to teach our children to be the leaders, the changers, the doers, that they'll one day be. They need to see us exercising our right to vote- a right so many people in so many countries don't have. A right that we are lucky to have.

And one day, it will be THEIR votes that matter. And we don't want them to miss out on that.

_DSC5472.jpg

_DSC5350.jpg

Hope to see you all at the polls tomorrow! Go vote!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Winter Looks Like...

(Welcome to anyone arriving here from Blue Zebra Photography !) (Oh!  And this is post # 500 on Ye Olde Blogge.  Wow!) I mentioned earlier that I'm participating in two different photography projects this year with other members of the Bloom Forum .   The second project I'm participating in are monthly photos that relate to a certain theme or word. For January, the theme is "Winter." We've had an odd winter so far here in Massachusetts.  Hardly any snow at all and over the weekend it was actually in the 50's which is pretty unusual.  We did have a brief snowstorm last week though and while LP and Eliza were cozied up on the couch together I wandered around and took a few photos of the scene.  I love how cozy it is in our house when it's snowy out and wanted to capture some images that conveyed that... From the Inside, Out: View From the Back Door: From here you can head over to Kelly Janssen's Photography...

February: What Shadow Looks Like

  (Welcome if you’re coming from Suzanne O'Brien Studio in Northern California!) This month’s group photography theme was “shadow.”  I’ll admit, I had a bit of a hard time with this one.  We’re in the middle of the February doldrums around these parts, and while the sun does shine from time to time it’s cold and blustery and damp most days.  It was tough to get motivated and creative about this, but that’s the whole point of the challenge! The kids and I were in the living room one afternoon and LP was lining his toys up on the windowsill.  The (frigid) afternoon sun was pouring in and I realized that there was a sort of lightbox effect.   I enlisted LP’s help in photographing some of his favorite toys (and one of Eliza’s) so he was the “stylist” for this little photo shoot.  I think if we ever have a dedicated play room I might frame some of these photos for the walls! Sophie the Giraffe: Army Guys: Captain America (I never noticed how r...

E+M Patterns, Boy’s No. 7 Shirt Review and GIVEAWAY!

ETA- Congrats to comment # 6, Laura who wins her choice of pattern from E+M Patterns!  I'll be in touch! Recently I was chosen to test out a boy’s shirt pattern by a new to me designer, E+M Patterns .  Well folks, I have to say that this pattern is fantastic!  The Boy’s No. 7 Shirt is designed for woven fabrics.  It has fabulous details like a boat neck style neckline, button closures at the shoulder seams, side seam hip vents at the hem, a simple pocket to hold treasures and the option of full-length sleeves or 3/4-length sleeves.  I was asked to test the shirt in a size 6 with long sleeves for LP which ended up being a perfect fit for my tall and skinny guy. For fabric I finally broke into my hoarded stash of Sarah Jane Designs fabrics and pulled out a fat quarter of the “A Pirates Life” from her Out to Sea line.  Sarah Jane is my all time favorite children’s illustrator and I adore all of her fabrics… This seemed like the perfect shirt to really sh...